Yes, I realize this summary post is almost a week late. I was having some…challenges in my day job, which threw my #SixWordStory posting off track. So I humbly apologize.
One thing I’ve learned writing these tiny stories is how important word choice is. Because I only have six words to convey an idea, I have to choose ones capable of embodying the picture in my mind. I’m helped by the fact words can mean different things depending on the context, but it’s still tough to do. The thesaurus is my BFF now.
This exercise also highlighted how fluffy my writing is. I noticed I liked to use qualifiers, ex. “I really think” or “I’m just so tired”. I think it’s a result of a combination of how I speak IRL and the type of freelance writing I do. Now that I’m conscious of this tendency, I think my longer writing pieces will turn out much better.
Anyway, on to the micro fiction!
- Wow, a talking muffin. Delicious too. 05/15
- She sneezed. Two days later, zombies. 05/15
- “Give my soul back.” “No refunds.” 05/16
- “Snitches get stitches.” “Yeah, 22 apparently.” 05/16
- I pressed the button. “Aww, sorry.” 05/17
- “Heaven’s full, but we have room.” 05/17
- 6:00 – Population: 1,258. 6:05 – Population: 1. 05/18
- “Hey sis!” “What happened?” “Serial killer.” 05/19
- Help feed underprivileged vampires. Donate blood. 05/19
- “Stop that howling! Fucking werewolves, man.” 05/20
- Love lives here, but respect doesn’t. 5/20
- Lightning split the ground, freeing ghouls. 05/21
- Hit snooze. Missed train. It derailed. 05/21
I tweet tiny fiction on a daily basis. If you want to read it live, follow me on Twitter @DeviMichaelis.